by Dr. Becky Saenz, MD, FABM, IBCLC
Dr. Becky Saenz is a member of the AAFP Breastfeeding Advisory Committee and a current USLCA/ILCA member. She is the director of the Mississippi Breastfeeding Medicine Clinic in Madison, MS. She has four breastfed children; her fourth, Samuel, was born prematurely in the fall of 2008. Dr. Saenz experienced first hand initiating breastfeeding with a pump. The information in these handouts are very easy to read and well organized. Dr. Saenz has given approval for these handouts to be reproduced for educational purposes. She has included a cover sheet to keep with the handouts. Becky’s email is . She welcomes you to email her if you would like to receive additional “Tips from the Trenches” that she develops.
- Handout Cover Sheet
- #1 Pumping for Preemies
- #2 Getting Started with Breastfeeding
- #3 Breastfeeding and Working
- #4 Dairy Intolerance and Allergies
- #5 Increasing Milk Supply
- #6 Candida/Yeast Infections in Breastfeeding Dyads
- #7 Sore nipples, plugged ducts, and mastitis: Remember that the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine has treatment protocols that moms can download and take to their providers that list antibiotics for mastitis–available at http://www.bfmed.org/Resources/Protocols.aspx.
Mastitis is #4 – available in both English and Korean!
- #8 Newborn Jaundice and Breastfeeding
- #9 Surviving an Emergency with a Breastfeeding Baby
- #10 When Someone Gets Sick
- #11 What to Eat or Not to Eat While Breastfeeding : Remember to tell your patients/clients to beware of sage seasoning in their turkey and dressing this holiday season – it can decrease milk production.
- #12 Starting Solids
- #13 Traveling with a Breastfeeding Baby
- #14 As They Grow: Breastfeeding “Older” Babies This is the first Tips From the Trenches of 2010– and it comes with a disclaimer: I’m quite sure that I’ve left something out. If you know of other Tips on breastfeeding “older” (>6 weeks) babies, e-mail them to me, and I’ll publish a revision in the Summer! I do plan on a whole separate Tips on Breastfeeding Toddlers, but you’re also welcome to e-mail me Tips on that to be included, if you like.
- #15 After Their Birthday: Breastfeeding “Older” Babies
- #16 Breastfeeding and Hormones
- #17 Oversupply: Too Much of a Good Thing?
- #18 Vasospasm
- #19 Vitamin D
- #20 Prenatal Preparation for Breastfeeding (Questions to Ask Your OB and Delivering Hospital) – August 1-7 each year is World Breastfeeding Week. The theme for 2010 is “Breastfeeding: Just 10 Steps!” Dr. Saenz prepared a checklist of questions to ask your obstetric provider and delivering hospital, based on the Ten Steps to Breastfeeding Success of the Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative. These ten steps are evidence-based practices that help get breastfeeding off to a good start.
- #21 Csection
- #22 Baby Blues
- #23 Tongue Tie